Follow!!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Chumming with the Sharks

 
A saleswoman, I am not. I've been told hundreds of times over the years that in order to succeed in business, you've got to be good at sales. It's just not true.
 
"No, I didn't want to Supersize my meal but now that you mention it, I DO need 4lbs. of fries and a gallon of Coke for lunch." It's like they're intuitive.
 
Don't get me wrong, I get the point. But, I think the main reason I've had any professional success as an entrepreneur is because of the relationships I build. I'm always myself, not a fluffed-up, used-car salesman-type, "What's it gonna take to get youuuuu into this car that's $30k over your budget?"
 
I'm professional but I let my sweet and quasi-goofy personality shine through. I genuinely care about the best interest of my clients, even if that means it leads to me not getting the contract. But, the benefit of that, is that I sleep well at night with a clear conscience. Because above all else, I'd much rather be a good person with a big heart, than a bad shark with a big bank account. (Cue the sappy orchestra music!)
 
I'm a little fish in a big pond and I'm quite cozy here with the tadpoles and lily pads. Out in the vast ocean, we become merely shark bait getting tangled in the seaweed and choking on algae.
 
Who needs that kind of slime anyway?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment