Follow!!

Monday, July 19, 2010

If E=mc² and I'm a Circle...Where Do I Fit In?

I'm all about running a lean business. I strive for minimal waste, low overhead and superior service. So, when the need arose for me to start looking into office space (I currently have a home office), it took me awhile to adjust.

Running efficiently has allowed me to survive in this tumultuous economy. Truth be told, my business has actually grown. So, taking on a substantial monthly bill otherwise known as RENT, was a little unsettling.

Have you found yourself in these types of growing pains with your business? It often goes in the other direction as well, where you find it is necessary to downsize in order to survive the recession.

I think people beat themselves up for this type of change but I find it to be smart business. You must have the fluidity as a business owner in order to adapt to your surroundings. If you can make adjustments during a tough span to bide your time until the economy improves and more clients start coming back your way, you have succeeded. I think it's those who have a hard time getting past their egos that end up failing in the long run.

When I mention ego, I don't use it as a negative term. I believe that all business owners should embrace a bit of ego. It helps to keep you driven, goal-oriented and proud of the services and products that you offer. But, it is also ego that sits in the back of your head and says, "If you downsize, you are admitting FAILURE!" But trust me, that's not the least bit true!

I've been there...I've had those thoughts. Not many people believed I could make a living as a writer. So, I had to fight years of discouragement, slow times and ultimately CHANGE in order to succeed.

And now, here I am growing, but just as nervous as those facing the opposite dilemma. We sometimes fear success just as much as we fear failure.

I've embraced the change, and know it is necessary for the new writing workshops I will be offering. I know my new space will allow me to help more businesses, children, authors and non-profits. That is truly important to me.

I'm no mathematician, but I know I will find where I fit in...and I hope you will too!

Sabrina K. Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment