Follow!!

Friday, December 2, 2011

I'm the Imperfect Worm...Just Without All Those Pesky Flaws!



Self-exploration is a life-long process with what seems to be an awful lot of WORK. Evaluating decisions, making amends, adjusting reactions and categorizing relationships. To quote the famous philosopher, Pooh Bear, "Oh, bother!"

I'm the first person to admit to my imperfections and strategically learn how to right wrongs and consistently grow as a human being. Yet, I somehow don't allow myself the option to make mistakes. What a quandary!

You see, I think often times we continue to unknowingly punish ourselves long after those we hurt have forgiven us. It is this deep-seeded guilt and sense of inadequacy that often interferes with integral parts of our lives without us even realizing it.

I have a minor obsession with human psychology and a double major in critical thinking and behavioral science so trust me when I tell you that I am qualified to analyze absolutely no one. But, isn't it intriguing that you're sitting here reading this post thinking, "Man, she nailed it on the head!" Please, hold your applause for the end of the post.

Once you tap into your unconscious and catch these mental self-mutilations, it opens up this whole can of worms. Some will be these big, slimy ones that you can barely even stand to look at and others will be harmless little buggers that you encourage to be on their way. But, a worm's a worm, people. They're gross and unsightly but when dealt with in the proper way, they are no longer a nuisance to you.

So, maybe just for today we can cut ourselves a break. Make a couple of mistakes, learn from them and let's not beat ourselves up with years of internal punishment. Be as forgiving to yourself as you are to others. The applause may commence. ;-)


1 comment:

  1. LOL Love it! My "project" for the past several months -- which is working, by the way! -- has been to re-frame my 93 y.o. mom's thinking and to help her to be more positive. Yet ... her most difficulty comes from taking little worms and making big worms out of them! (I must admit to having the same tendency, but that's for another discussion :) Great post that I'm printing out right now! Candice

    ReplyDelete